Growing up is hard to do. As a 24 year old, just starting out in the working world, being diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma can be a big blow. Here's my attempt at putting it behind me as smoothly as possible.

30 May, 2006

+3 Months

Well, it's been 3 months already. I went for my first post treatment check-up and it went pretty well. I asked about diving again and Dr. Blahey said that it would be best if I never dove again. I guess it's time to start forgetting about it. My veins should start to get better after about 6 months. The main vein in my bicep used to be big and soft and it has now turned into a little, hard, brown wire running up my arm. I hope it starts to soften up soon. My white blood cells aren't returning very quickly. They have only climbed to 1.6 from 1.4 before my last treatment. For comparison, the normal range is 2-8 and I was at 11 before chemo (elevated because of the cancer).

I've got a PET scan and another check-up in about 3 months. Until then I'm going to keep on trucking and getting back into shape. My energy levels seem to be pretty much back to normal, though I feel like I haven't slept enough most of the time. I've been playing beach volleyball at lunch, I'm in two evening indoor volleyball leagues (Mon & Wed), and I've started biking with Dawn again. Bring on summer!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome buddy!!!

Glad to hear that all is still well, and that you are beginning to get back into shape. ... you may even be in fine form for the flex down at the official AGM this year!

6:51 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck man

7:17 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home